* As our culture has changed, so has children's literature changed.
* As our culture has changed, so have public libraries changed.
* As our culture has changed, so has modern education changed.
If you are making careful decisions about your kids' education, please consider the reading materials so equally crucial to the development of their hearts and minds. They should be wholesome in content and Judeo-Christian in their view of the child as a learner.
We can ship books anywhere in the U.S., so non-local members can be served well also! All can browse and reserve through our (soon-to-be-available) online database. (See Database/Catalog page.)
God uses the written word--the Bible--to teach the most important truths of all...without academic dissertation or "questions at the end of the chapter." Rather, His Book speaks right to our heart, because it is an engaging narrative, the story of His plans and human responses. No wonder He made us to love story!
C.S. Lewis calls us to such living books, because they "capture the attention, secure the interest, and ennoble the heart of the reader." Give your kids' current books the "C.S.Lewis Test!"
If they rely on chopped-up text and overpowering images, then story was not the goal. They weren't trying to reach the heart, it would seem. No, they were trying to download clinical factoids to the brain, pre-digesting them into "bytes" for supposedly easier retention. (See "Modern Book Example" on our Photos page.)
Ah....this is the crux of the issue! Heart or head?! The Bible doesn't even mention the brain, but says the heart is the seat of learning. Capture the heart, and you've captured the head too, for out of the heart, a person wills, thinks, and speaks.
But your children live in a culture that rejects God as Lord and Creator, and thus it denies the unconquerable spiritual realm. It instead views the universe as an impersonal set of chemical reactions, thus it sees the bio-electrical brain as the seat of learning. And that changes everything in education and children's literature.
Books from the "Golden Age of Children's Literature," while not always "Christian," still had a Judeo-Christian view of the reader, and thus thrilled children with the story of history, geography, science, math, the arts, etc., in wonderful, unforgettable narrative fashion. (See "Living Book Example" on our Photos page, or read an article by Michelle Miller on this topic requested by an education magazine: Power of Great Books to Teach Well.)
Such books are very hard to find in public libraries, for both the spiritual/political reasons mentioned above, and laws related to public books.
But the best literary gems of all time are easily found--over 20,000 of them, in fact--at the Children's Preservation Library!
Come on in! You won't believe it until you see it!
* Full-service library for PreK-12, making available the great "living book" gems of yesteryear-and the best current literature-in every field: history, biography, church history, geography, science, mathematics, art, music, fiction, historical fiction, early readers, picture books, etc. Library database can be viewed online, books can be reserved, and volunteers will pull your books so they can be quickly grabbed (or shipped, to non-local members).
* Access to these thousands of costly books for less than the cost of a few new books, including those called for in popular curricula such as Five-in-a-Row (our special tub for each unit effortlessly deepens the learning), Veritas, Sonlight, TruthQuest History, Beautiful Feet, Prairie Primer, Weaver, etc..
* Enrichment materials too: oversized art prints, games, math manipulatives, science gear, puzzles, puppets, etc., all available for check-out!
* DVD/VHS/Audio collection (wholesome, recreational, and educational)
* Support materials for adults on education, parenting, and more.
* Christian values used in selection of materials (talk with staff for more details).
* Library staff available through online discussion loop for child-specific book recommendations; a benefit of membership!
There are various types of membership and we now offer monthly payment ("subscription") options. All are explained on the Membership/Join page. But if you wish to renew or join right now, have at it! You can either "Pay Now" (in full, at a lower rate) or "Subscribe Now" (monthly payments). (New members must please submit an application; form is posted in sidebar of home page; funds will be refunded if application incompatible.)
Click here to join: Let's Talk Fun, Easy, Rich Learning with Living Books on Facebook!
If you'd like to have the CPL Team and fellow members suggest books for your studies and enjoyment, just join the forum! We are here to help and share!